I became a therapist because I have always enjoyed connecting with others in a “real way” and talking about difficult subjects. I am fascinated by the complexities of people, and enjoy helping other people gain self-awareness so that they can live a more satisfying life. For as long as I can remember, my idea of fun has been sitting at a coffee shop and “people watching.” Since becoming a parent in 2011, I have grown increasingly passionate about supporting the parent-child relationship and attachment work with children in foster care and post adoption. I know firsthand the challenges of parenting young children and balancing other aspects of life. I also knows what it is like to live with anxiety and depression, and the impact those conditions can have on relationships and other life domains.
I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor (RPT-S) in Illinois. Additionally, I am also currently pursuing additional advanced training in Biblical Counseling and EMDR. I also hold special recognition through the Department of Children and Family Services as a Trauma-Focused Provider.
I have a special interest in working with the following issues and situations:
- Women who are high-achievers and feeling overwhelmed and burnt out.
- Parents with infants and young children who are seeking guidance with parenting and behavior management.
- Children and teens who have experienced child abuse and/or neglect.
- Adoption issues (attachment, loss, identity, trauma) across the life span (ages 3 years and older).
- Members of the LGBTQ community who are Christians and are seeking an accepting Christian counselor – I have a special interest in how the Christian faith intersects with this community.
- Adults who are in dysfunctional relationships.
- Adults who experienced abuse and/or neglect as children.
- Parents who are involved with the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) and who are working toward reunification with their children.
My work is solidly grounded in Attachment Theory and I use Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy, Theraplay, Child-Centered Play Therapy, and aspects of a variety of other therapy treatment models depending on the client’s needs. I also integrate learning from the related fields of Nutrition, Neurology, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Exercise Science, Education, Child Development and Psychiatry to supplement the psychotherapy services I provide.
Contact me to schedule an appointment.
I live in Crystal Lake, Illinois with my husband and two children. My greatest priorities are God, my marriage and my children. I am working hard to take care of all that God has entrusted to me.
I nurture myself by running, cooking, gardening and travelling. I enjoy taking adventures with my children and going on dates with my husband. Our family loves cruising, and if you can’t get ahold of me, chances are I am sailing on the Caribbean somewhere chasing my young kids around a cruise ship.